|Home » Articles » LESSON NOTES (Social Studies) » Upper Primary|
Tanzania has many tourist attractions such as Mount Kilimanjaro which is the highest in Africa, The game parks and game reserves of Serengeti, Tarangire, Ngorongoro crater and many other attractions.
Tanzania has tourism policies, these policies give guidelines on how to manage tourism properly and to avoid negative effects of tourism on people and environment as follows:
(a) Drivers should drive slowly
(b) Stay in selected places when taking photographs.
(c) Smoking in the park is prohibited
(d) Be quiet to avoid disturbing animals
(e) All tourists must be accompanied by a licensed guide or an official guide.
(f) No one is allowed to hunt in the national parks.
(g) Littering is prohibited as animals may eat the litter hence become ill or die.
CHALLENGES FACING TOURISM IN TANZANIA
(a) Tourism in Tanzania is seasonal
(b) Lack of enough capital to improve tourist sectors like hotels etc.
(c) Some roads are not passable during wet seasons of the year.
(d) Low advertisement in the tourism industry.
TOURISM IN MAURITIUS
Mauritius is an island in the Indian Ocean, it is more influenced by Britain, France and India because of its beauty and calm environment. Its Capital city is Port Louis
Factors that have contributed to the growth of tourism in Mauritius are:
(a) Wide range of natural and man made attractions
(b) Well designed and run hotels
(c) Good infrastructure
(d) The beaches are well cared.
Challenges facing tourism industry in Mauritius
(a) High Costs are needed to maintain quality
(b) Competition from the tourism sector from other countries.
Many tourists in the world call Mauritius a Paradise Island because of its attractions.
TOURISM IN SWITZERLAND
Switzerland is among leading country in the world as far as tourism is concerned. It is also referred to as Playground of Europe.
The capital City of Switzerland is BERN.
Each tourist region in Switzerland has numerous attractions. Among places tourists visit are Geneva, Zurich, Bern, Locarno and Lugano Towns, KanderSteg and Murren, in these places tourists enjoy viewing beautiful lakes, waterfalls, and snow-capped Alps Mountains peaks.
The Alps Mountains occupy about 60% of the total land area of Switzerland.
FACTORS INFLUENCING DEVELOPMENT OF TOURISM IN SWITZERLAND
1. It is in central Europe, its position enables it to receive tourists easily.
2. Availability of skilled labour
3. Modern infrastructure
4. Reliability of power
5. Peace and stability in the country.
IMPORTANCE OF TOURISM IN SWITZERLAND
1. The country earns foreign exchange.
2. It improves and maintain international relations
3. Employment to many people in the country
4. Development of technology
Limitation of Tourists development in Switzerland
1. The big number of tourists received each year causes environmental degradation
2. During winter, the severe cold causes ice which block railway lines.
3. Landslides in Switzerland are dangerous to tourists.
ADVANTAGES OF TOURISM
1. Employment to many people as tour guides, cooks, waiters, guards and drivers.
2. Improvement of infrastructure.
3. Protection of things such as physical features and wildlife so as to attract tourists.
4. A country earns foreign exchange
5. Promotes international peace and understanding. (friendship)
DISADVANTAGES OF TOURISM
1) Environmental pollution.
2) Destruction of local culture
3) Commercial sex and child labour
4) Diseases from other countries.
5) Some foreign tourists are robbed by local people , this leads to enmity between countries.
METHODS OF MANAGING DISADVANTAGES
1) Tourists should be encouraged to respect local culture.
2) Local and foreign tourists should be treated equally
3) Local people should behave and treat tourists well
4) Child labour and commercial sex should be banned
5) People should be educated to preserve their environment.
Click here to Download file in PDF
Click here to read Part one.
|Views: 420 ||
|Total comments: 0|